skinflint believes that all businesses, large and small can make an effort to reduce their negative environmental impact/ carbon footprint and is committed to leading the industry in minimising the impact of its activities on the environment.
Our Studio Policy covers a range of areas helping to contribute to a sustainable office environment. Broadly, this includes an:
- Environmental policy – to protect the environment by ensuring the sustainable use and disposal of scarce resources.
- Buy recycled policy – providing the purchasing framework to advance the sustainable use of resources.
- Ensuring that every effort is made to source recycled products where possible.
- Sustainable waste management policy – combining a recycling policy with waste minimisation and reuse.
- Sustainable procurement policy – by combining resources and collaborating, procurement costs could be reduced.
- Transport Policy.
Product Packaging - Reduction
In an effort to reduce the environmental impact of packaging we utilise a new range of single wall cardboard boxes which been independently tested by PIRA and proven to outperform a standard double wall equivalent.
Our boxes significantly reduce the environmental impact – they are both stronger and lighter than conventional cartons.
Other less obvious benefits include a 5% reduction in material that potentially goes to landfill and a 30% reduction in CO2 emissions through transport efficiencies. The boxes were developed in association with WRAP (Waste and Resources Action Programme) in an effort to reduce the amount of packaging ending up in landfill. Replacing the traditional double wall box, our boxes have the following unique features:
- Increased strength over previous double wall boxes.
- Materials used are 7% lighter.
- The process of manufacturing our boxes results in a 30% saving in CO2 emissions.
- Made From Large Bubbles.
- Each has a diameter of 20mm and a height of 7mm.
- Made from a tough 70-micron polythene which is flexible and conforms to the shape of our product.
- Lightweight and manufactured using a significant proportion of post-consumer recycled material.
- Fully recyclable in any reprocessing facility. Fully re-usable without any fear of degrading.
Waste Management - Reduction
- Promotional literature and reports are produced electronically and made available, wherever possible, on our website.
- We continually research ways in which we can encourage a paperless office.
- Draft documents are only printed if strictly necessary.
Energy Consumption – Reduction
skinflint aims to reduce energy consumption and employs the following energy saving measures:
- All computers and monitors are switched off when not in use.
- All monitors use a low energy screen saver activated when the computer is not in use for longer than five minutes.
- We no longer utilise a fax machine.
- All electronic equipment including computers, lights and machinery is switched off when the studio is not in use.
- All windows and internal doors are kept closed to avoid the loss of heat – in the winter.
- When not necessary lights are switched off and we use low energy consumption bulbs.
- Carrier bags and boxes are saved to be reused as required.
- Folders and dividers are saved and re-used.
- Paper is reused – and if required, draft documents will be printed on the reverse (unused) side.
In addition to the core business activity of recycling lights, we also recycle the following:
- White paper, mixed paper, newspapers and magazines
- Glass & plastic
- Aluminium & steel
- Light Bulbs
We actively encourage the use of bicycles whenever possible provide safe bicycle ‘parking’ space. For those for whom this is not possible, we clearly outline the different public transport options available to staff and visitors to our offices.