Light Bulbs

light bulbs faq

Light Bulbs

I'm confused with wattage comparisons between new energy-saving bulbs and the traditional bulbs that I'm used to.

Traditional bulb   Energy-saving bulbs
60w 12w
40w 8w
15w 3w

Bulb Comparison

What is the right wattage for the light fixture?

Although the majority of the light fixtures we retail were sourced from manufacturing and industrialised areas - and as such were originally designed for use with bulbs in excess of 100w - for most residential and commercial projects, 60w or equivalent should, depending on application, prove sufficient. If you have any queries please feel free to contact the studio where a member of the team will be more than happy to assist.

Why are traditional incandescent (filament) bulbs being banned?

This EU directive is part of a package of measures aiming to significantly reduce the energy consumed by electrical devices. The primary aim of this directive is to protect the environment by reducing CO2 emissions. But it will also benefit consumers’ pockets. Traditional incandescent (filament) light bulbs eat electricity, with only 5% of the energy they consume used to generate light. These traditional incandescent (filament) light bulbs mainly convert the remaining 95% of the energy into heat.

When are traditional incandescent (filament) bulbs being banned?

From 1 September 2009 the first lamps will disappear from the shelves. These will be incandescent lamps of more than 80w. Further lamps and wattages will then come under the terms of the ban in 12-month stages until in September 2012 all lamps down to 7w will disappear.

What is the benefit for the environment?

Over 1/3 of the electricity used worldwide for lighting can be saved. These savings of over 900 billion kWh of electric power would lead to a reduction in global emissions of more than 450 million tons of CO2.

As traditional incandescent (filament) bulbs are being phased out, what can I use instead?


There are many differing bulb options for consumers and the market can appear confusing. After trialing many different bulbs for use with our lights, we are of the opinion that the new LED range from Philips is one of the most comprehensive currently available on the market.

The new LED bulbs are more expensive than the traditional incandescent (filament) bulbs they have replaced, why is this?


Although the initial cost of LED bulbs is much higher than that of the traditional incandescent (filament) bulbs, the life expectancy and running costs are massively reduced. On average, the new LED bulb will last 25 times longer and will use 80% less energy during its life to create exactly the same amount of light.

What are the key benefits of LED bulbs?

  • 80% less energy consumption
  • Instant start
  • Dimmable to 10%
  • 2700K (very warm white light)
  • Average life 25,000 hours
  • Free of mercury and hazardous materials

What do you mean when you refer to a light bulb being of a warm appearance?

Whether a light is warm or cold depends on the colour temperature and this is measured in Kelvin. The conventional warm white light from a light bulb corresponds to 2700 Kelvin.